Special Enrollment Periods
Individuals and families can enroll in a private health plan after January 31, 2016 if they have had a Qualifying Life Event.
Qualifying Life Events Eligible for a Special Enrollment Period:
- Loss of minimum essential coverage
- Marriage or domestic partnership, birth, adoption, or placement in foster care
- Becoming a citizen, national, or lawfully present individual
- For those already enrolled in a QHP, becoming newly eligible or ineligible for tax credits; or eligible for a different amount of cost sharing reductions
- Permanent move to NY, or permanent move from one county to another within NY
- Marketplace staff or contractor enrollment error
- Assistor misconduct
- Qualified Health Plan violated a provision of its contract
- American Indians can enroll or change plans one time per month throughout the year
- Other exceptional circumstances, as defined by HHS.
Not considered a Qualifying Life Event:
- Voluntarily dropping other health coverage
- Being terminated for not paying your premiums
- Losing coverage that is not minimum essential coverage, in accordance with HHS guidelines
Call our Customer Support Center at 1-855-355-5777 for more information and help applying.